If you’re considering cutting your tresses and you’re in the middle of a long to short hair dilemma, let us be your voice of reason. We’ve compiled a checklist of pro’s for both and some points to consider before you take the plunge:-
Long hair pros
- Less frequent haircuts required
- Easy to cover up bad hair days with ponytails, braids and buns
- Styling Versatility – up or down, curly or straight
- Amazing dance floor action – who doesn’t love a hair flick!
- Easy to hide behind on your less than confident days
- Keeps your neck warm in winter
Short hair pros
- Dries in a flash
- Uses less product
- Has less weight to it
- Cooler in summer
- Draws attention to your facial features, neckline and collarbone
- Your bed hair is actually an edgy style instead of a birds nest
- It’s a statement of confidence
- The shape of your face is crucial to choosing the balance of your cut which is why going to a trusted stylist is essential for a happy transition.
- If you’re a curly-haired lass keep in mind that shrinkage will happen and your curls will tighten. A great stylist will be able to advise you on the best cut for your curls.
- Short hair and super short or shaved hair is all about confidence. If you’ve decided to be bold, own it!
- Colour can enhance your cut but your present colour may not work with a shorter style.
- Be realistic when you’re choosing a cut from a picture online or in a magazine – sorry to be the bearer of bad news but whilst a haircut is transforming, for most of us, it won’t turn back the clocks or alter your features.
- You may find your hair gets dirtier quicker.
- If you’ve just broken up from a relationship or feeling a little peeved with someone, cutting your hair may not be a long-term solution.
- If you want a preview of which short hairstyles suit you, take a selfie, upload it to your phone or computer and have a play here or here to find the best look for you.
- If you take the plunge have fun with it.
- If you find a style you like, don’t water it down by asking your hairdresser to maybe leave it a little longer, if you’re going to do it, commit and do it properly.
your hair, your life, your rules